How we connect with friends around the world
Earlier this year China Boy came back to the States to visit his parents for a couple weeks. As hard as I tried, I couldn’t make it up to Oregon to see him. I was such a sad panda. My dear, dear friend whom I haven’t seen face to face since we graduated college.
We made do, though. His internet connection in OR was much better than what he had in China, so we were able to Skype and get as close seeing each other as we could. I kind of got butterflies in my stomach, in the best way. We had chatted online and messaged each other for years, but we were finally going to see each others’ faces! We connected, and it was the greatest thing. Reunited with my old friend.
We talked about everything under the sun. One of these things was how he watched Cloud Atlas on his plane ride over here. I told him I had liked the movie so much that I was planning on reading the book. He said he felt the same way! We joked about starting an online book club.
And so the next day I ventured into a bookstore in Pacific Heights and found two copies of Cloud Atlas. This was going to be another, more tangible way, for us to connect. I wrapped it up and shipped it over to OR, hoping it would make it on time before he went back to China (who knows if a package would ever make it there… and don’t get me started on shipping rates!).
We had scheduled to Skype one more time before he returned to China. It was his last night and we were chatting up another storm. I asked him if he received anything in the mail, and he went to go check. He got my package his last night before we left! He giddily unwrapped it and seemed quite pleased with the book :) It was like Christmas on Skype.
Anyway, that was just a tidbit of my January that made life feel really worthwhile :) He’s done with the book now, and I’m finally putting a dent in it. Can’t wait to discuss it soon :)
- True blue friends since freshman year of college
- His genuine smile
- How warm I feel when he tells me he appreciates me
- China Boy’s awesome artwork
- How books and common interests bring people together
- Internet. It keeps us connected in an efficient and economical manner
- His package making it on time!
- Grabbing the only two copies of Cloud Atlas from the store
- Getting immersed in the book during long bus rides
- Just feeling downright giddy!
Coming -home- for the weekend
I am back in my happy place, my second home: the chapel. I love my alma mater, and I will never get sick of visiting this beloved place. Chaplain knew I was staying the night and left this lovely note and a platter of snacks for me :3 … Well, I think the snacks are for me.
I have been wanting to visit Stk peeps for weeks since I finished the NPTE, but cupcakes have kept me in the city for a while. I finally got the weekend off and decide it was time to give my little PT buddy my NPTE books before he started clinicals (they grow up so fast!) and catch up with Rugby Boy for a bit before he went home to see his family.
I had a lovely reunion dinner with a now-colleague of mine. We had a lot to talk about in terms of PT, job hunting, job discovering, classmate drama, and our personal lives. It was nice.
And now I finally have time to myself to be at peace and blog like a monk in a cave…with wifi.
Chaplain asked me to sing for Newman tomorrow night because the students are on spring break. I am quite excited to be singing in the chapel again. It’s been a while since I sang in church.
- My PT buddy treating me to lunch at my favorite creamery for passing the NPTE ^_^
- Being able to pass on my NPTE books so he won’t have to deal with the stress of studying AND how ridiculous the cost of preparation is
- Seeing Rugby Boy and talking about his clinic observations… he grew up pretty fast, too :’)
- Hugs when hugs are most needed
- Venturing through a quiet, peaceful campus while the students are gone
- Reuniting with a dear classmate of mine, and our love for gouda macaroni and cheese
- Talking all through the night about EVERYTHING
- Chaplain’s thoughtful note - and the fact that I finally get to see her tomorrow
- Looking forward to a little Newman Mass and also seeing Sassy Colombian
- Feeling at home.
Cameras, cajones, y CPR?
I lied, post-NPTE celebration money will go toward CPR re-certification and renewing my APTA membership :’(
Oh, I love my profession. The tattoo’s definitely going to have to wait… but the camera… must…. make… videos… and also really want a cajon…
SUCH IS LIFE.
In other news, went on a beautiful drive (and passed through Robin Williams’ neighborhood) today during a delivery. Makes me happy to be here :)
Robin, if you just come out of your house, I could give you cupcakes!
- Hopefully never seeing my trainee ever again
- The work day being over when it was over
- Making jokes with the baker
- French fries… because sometimes they are necessary
- Green tea!
- Talking about tattoos with Roomie
- Looking forward to sleeeeeeeeping
- Sprucing up my resume and liking what I see ;)
- Finding a more affordable camera just now
- Hopefully seeing if the local fire department can offer CPR classes for cheaper tomorrow during regular business hours :)
ALL the things on the internet!
Feeling chatty today. Looking at tattoos, cameras for recording music videos, and all sorts of things. Somebody realllyyyyyyy wants another one. I probably won’t do watercolor even though it looks FREAKING AMAZING. We’ll see how it goes. Post-NPTE celebration funds can only go toward music or another tattoo. Or I guess groceries. Maybe I could swing both…
I think I need to calm down.
- All the books I’m going to read!
- All the songs I’m going to learn!
- All the food I’m going to make!
- All the miles I’m going to run!
- All the friends I’m going to see!
- All the praise I’m going to sing!
- All the photos I’m going to take!
- All the places I’m going to explore!
- All the warms and fuzzies I’m going to give!
- (-1) All the cupcakes I’m going to sell/deliver…
- (+1) All the joy I’m going to feel!
- All the dresses I’m going to rock!
Good night, Tumblr.
Vegan gelato and all that came with it
Sunday in a nutshell:
Fantastic carpooling experience w/Lezzie & Koko to SJ, listening to good jams and trying to not die on the rainy roads. Reunion with family and friends for our annual Lunar New Year luncheon. First time seeing my mother since Christmas and the first thing she did was frown at me. Hi ho.
It was really nice to see Ba again. Being the diplomatic father, he said to my mother that my hair looked fine. Moo-haz broke the tension by saying, “Just look at her [left] side!”
After our short and awkward (and public) conversation about how I still look like a boy and continue to be an abomination to my mother, everyone got fat and sassy on traditional Vietnamese food and played with Little Meow’s new DSLR. It was nice having my best friends from different circles together under one roof.
Then Lezzie and I ran off to pick up Koko and continue Sunday’s adventures. We nommed on fantastic Vietnamese sandwiches and had gelato with Banh Xeo Girl and Guitar Guy. We jammed and juggled for a little bit at Guitar Guy’s house and then called it a night. Not going to lie, it was a pretty delightful night.
- Starting and ending the drive with the same song
- Hot and sour soup and seeing Little Meow for the first time in forever
- Lounging on the couch and feeling paht and sassy
- The way Moo-haz wiggles his mustache
- Green detours in the rain with Lezzie and Koko for gas
- Viet sandwiches… how I’ve missed you!
- Lezzie gracing me with her hair trimming skills! I keep wanting to cut more off…
- Target and gelato (Thai iced tea, what?!) adventures with SF friends
- Mini jam sessions and juggling lessons from Guitar Guy
- Guitar Guy lending me one of his favorite books ^_^
Looking forward to more SF adventures soon… now that I’m not STUDYING ALL DAY ERRDAY. Wish me luck at work. It’s going to be a massacre this week.
Passing the NPTE!
Yesterday was the best day of the year so far, considering I spent all of January working and studying for the most painful exam of our lives (unless I decide to go for that OCS!).
It started with the vague feeling that we were going to find out that day. I was just going to wait for Facebook explosions. Throughout my shift I checked my phone here and there. After I returned from a delivery, Mustache sent me a prayer to St. Jude (for hope) and I almost broke down in the back room. We were both insanely anxious about the results. I never felt like I had failed anything so horribly. It was this physically and emotionally painful 5-hour exam that made us feel like all our hard work fell short.
I had a little time between cupcakes and my patient, so I was in the office eating a late lunch before I headed out. Then Facebook started exploding with my classmates’ status updates. I knew I said I wasn’t going to check until after my law exam, BUT I HAD TO KNOW. AND I WAS SO GLAD I CHECKED.
I burst into the bakery and shouted, “I PASSED MY EXAM!!” and proceeded to throw cupcakes everywhere.
Well, that’s not really what happened, but that was how it felt. I did burst into the bakery, and I did shout, but I had to respect the hard work of our bakers.
I’m going to remember yesterday and tell my kids about it. My new year’s resolution was to have more photos of myself, so I had a coworker take a picture of me behind the counter. I’m going to tell my kids that their mother paid rent with cupcakes while studying for the NPTE, and found out she passed in that very bakery.
Independence and success have never been so sweet ;D
After my law exam today, I spent the night playing guitar and singing. Haven’t done that in a WHILE. So happy to be singing again ^_^
Time to fix up my resume and look for my first real job! And get back to that literature review… hm…
- Passed passed passed passed passed!
- My friends also passing!
- No more feeling of impending doom
- The phone call I made to Chaplain on my walk to the bus
- Being able to tell my sister and my friends!
- My degree no longer being useless!
- Compliments on my haircut at work :)
- Sitting in a cafe drinking a soy latte and writing after the CLE
- Playing guitar and singing BECAUSE I CAN
- Looking forward to another beautiful day tomorrow
More tomorrow. Right now I have to study for the law exam and NOT BREAK INTO SONG EVERY FIVE MINUTES.